Subject Line: Requesting a Response to the Yemen Humanitarian Crisis
Dear [Your MP],
My name is [Your Name], and today I am writing regarding the crisis in Yemen. I am a resident in [Your Constituency], and I believe that the UK must stop supporting Saudi Arabia’s Military Campaign which has killed over 100,000 people since 2014.
The UK is complicit in war crimes which buttress, reinforce, and escalate Yemen’s civil war, a primary cause of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Millions are suffering in this famine.
As a member of the general public, I demand that:
1. Britain stop supporting Saudi Arabia’s Military Campaign by ceasing the sale of weapons and planes to Saudi Arabia - the main cause of civilian death in Yemen.
2. Britain act on the norm of R2P, endorsed by the UK regularly in the UNSC, and intervene to stop the humanitarian crisis.
3. Britain provide the basic necessities of food, water and medicine for Yemenis. Some facts below demonstrate just how stringent this crisis is:
- Currently in Yemen a child dies every 10 minutes
- 1.5 million children are malnourished and in need of aid to survive
- There are over 100,000 cases of cholera in Yemen
- COVID-19 has exacerbated civilian deaths
- The Chikungunya virus, transmitted through Mosquitos, is another factor worsening this crisis
The Yemeni crisis is our moral responsibility, given our complicity in the war. Without urgent, and immediate action, there may be no Yemenis to speak of by the end of the year. Britain has the material capacities to intervene in a meaningful and powerful way. Yemen can not handle a war, economic collapse and 4 pandemics.
Please keep me updated on any progress.