Resources for Canadian artists, writers and media workers during COVID-19 shutdowns
UPDATE, March 20, 2020: Hello all! I’m now working with CBC Arts to maintain this resource list. New updates will be found HERE. I will no longer be updating this doc except with journalism related resources. Please keep sending me resources as they become available!
Much thanks and love to the Americans who started the inspiration for this doc: Nicole Brewer, Ann Marie Lonsdale, Quanice Floyd, Tiffany Wilhelm, Brian Herrera, Hannah Fenlon, & Clementine Bordeaux. To see American/International resources, visit this website.
You can send information or resources to H.G. Watson at [email protected] This document will be updated continuously.
I will not accept requests to edit this document — please email me or reach out on my social media (@HG_Watson on Twitter and Instagram) if you want to add something.
Please feel free to share this document far and wide!
* Woodcock Fund Grant — emergency funds for writers mid-project
* The AFC — Emergency financial aid for entertainment pros
* Unison — financial aid for musicians
* Emergency Survival Fund for LGBTQ2S artists, performers, tip-based workers
* CANADIAN Low-Income Artist/Musician Relief Fund
* Behind the Scenes
* Facebook Journalism grants for covering COVID-19
* Emergency Care/Support Benefit — coming in April from the federal government
UPCOMING SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS AND AWARDS
* Dalton Camp Award
* Fellowship in Higher Education Journalism
ADVOCACY FOR FREELANCERS
* I Lost My Gig Canada — full website launching March 20
* Canada Council for the Arts COVID-19 update
* The Canadian Freelance Union
* CMG Freelance
* S'ATTAQ — Labour union for freelancers
* IATSE Canadian locals
* Canadian Actors Equity Association
* Writers Guild of Canada
* Associated Designers of Canada
* Canadian Federation of Musicians
* Playwrights Guild of Canada
* Writers Union of Canada
* Soutien à/de la communauté culturelle québécoise - COVID-19
ONLINE TRAINING RESOURCES
* Poynter News University
* Skillshare — lots of free classes on writing, acting, etc.
* Toronto Public Library eLearning portal — free for library card holders
* Calgary digital library
* Sourceful — publicly sourced Google Docs and Sheets
* Canadian Improv Games Online Training Resource
HEALTH AND MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
* Crisis Services Canada
* Distress Centres of Greater Toronto
* NABS support line — 1-888-355-5548
* Unison — Counselling for musicians
* TO Community response to COVID19 Facebook group
TEMPORARY/REMOTE JOB OPPORTUNITIES
* Find a freelancer — doc for freelance writers and photogs to be connected with editors
* 25+ Sites for Finding Remote Work
* Resources for Remote Work
* Tutoring online with Cambly