Record and log everything.
Keep a workout journal with performances, time of day, and energy level before and after the sessions.
“If you don’t measure it, you won’t improve it.”
Short Sprint Workouts (twice a week):
* 40yd Sprints
* 3 minimum - if time starts dropping off, end.
* Can time the fly 10m at the back half of the run.
* Record all runs. Track session average. Identify your personal best.
* Hand time and log. Walk back for recovery.
* Average the five times.
* Starts @ 3x30 out of the blocks
* 2-3 min recovery.
Lactate Sprint Workouts (once a week):
* 23-Second Drill (Lactate!)
* Limit these! Once per week perform two 24 second sprints.
* Measure the distance traveled.
* Goal is 200 meters / 8 minute break / 2nd run IMPORTANT! Try to get within 5 meters of first.
* Sets: 200-100 with 40 seconds rest (Lactate!)
* 8-minute break.
* 150-150 with 40 seconds rest.
* The “sets” can be of any distance but I like the 300. The 200-200 sets are perfect if you are a 4x4 runner.
* Wear spikes.
* Pace is goal-400 pace. 48-second 400 guy runs 200 in 24, 100 in 12, 150 in 18.
* Run into start and drop a hand at the start line for timing purposes.
* 4x4 Predictor (Lactate!)
* Times added together, multiply by .667, then add 2.0 seconds. Rest is about 3 minutes… diagonal walk across a football field.
* Do this once every three weeks. No more.
* COLD DAY WORKOUT:
* 400 Challenge: 11x 40yd. Less than 1 minute rest (walk back). All 11 40’s done in 10 minutes. 11x5 secs = 55 seconds 440yd run